Female Genital Mutilation
Female genital mutilation (sometimes referred to as female circumcision or FGM) refers to procedures that intentionally alter or cause injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons. The practice is illegal in the UK.
This course will look at the reasons for FGM, the procedures related to it and signs of it.
The learning objectives for this course are as follows:
- To understand what FGM is
- To understand the social and cultural aspects of FGM
- To be able to recognise the indicators of FGM
- To know the health consequences of FGM
- To be aware of legislation relevant to FGM
- To understand managing FGM disclosure and safeguarding
- To know how to take appropriate action if you have concerns, including appropriately reporting concerns safely and seeking advice